If you recall on an episode of Friends, everyone’s allowed a list of celebrities to adore from afar. Freebies, if you will. In fact, now that I look it up – they actually called it their “Freebies list!” Chandler chose Kim Basinger, Cindy Crawford, Halle Berry, Yasmine Bleeth, and Jessica Rabbit. Rachel’s were Chris O’Donnell, John F. Kennedy, Jr., Daniel Day Lewis, Sting, and Parker Stevenson (Ep 3.05).
When explaining the Freebie List, the conversation went like this:
Chandler: “Well, we have a deal where we each get to pick five different celebrities that we can sleep with, and the other one can’t get mad.”
Ross: “Ah, the heart of every healthy relationship: Honesty, respect, and sex with celebrities.”
So there you have it – the essence of the list. All of us have those special someones on the silver screen we fancy, and this is an ode to mine – except I expanded it to ten because I simply couldn’t choose just five! I’m sure if Dave had a blog, he’d be fast on my heels creating his own Freebies List 😉
These ten begin with my most dedicated loves – the ones I would tell you I love if I was awoken from a deep deep sleep, and work my way down.
1. Luke Perry – In my dreams, I was the Brenda to his Dylan as he wooed me with his disarming smile and poufy James Dean hair. Luckily, his role as Dylan required many shirtless scenes on the beach, as he was quite the surfer. He was the one guy I watched it for most – not Brian Austin Green, Jason Priestley, or Ian Ziering. There aren’t many more words I can use to describe him – he’s a classic love in my life, and he’s definitely at the top of my list.
2. Lance Bass – He had at me at goodbye – Bye Bye Bye, that is. When all the girls were swooning for JT, I was stuck on this cutie with the sweet smile, gentle eyes, charisma, and deep voice. I had his posters plastered all over my walls, too! Over the past few years, he’s also bulked up deliciously. And I loved his dork/cutie character on On the Line. He’s so much more than a boybander to me, and I can proudly say that meeting him is one of the best moments of my life thus far!
3. Michael Vartan – He played Sydney Bristow’s “guardian angel” Vaughn, on Alias. Not only is he scrumptious with his occasional five o’clock shadow, but he’s also really innocent and protective over Sydney. He had the same charm in Never Been Kissed, and now he’s on the mediocre Hawthorne on TNT. As much as I love him, I can’t bring myself to watch yet another medical drama.
4. Leonardo DiCaprio – I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Titanic since it came out when I was in 6th grade. I had his poster up, and countless “unauthorized” biographies from Scholarstic books. And I can’t tell you how many times I wished it were me on the boat with Jack Dawson. He’s got incredible looks and skill in his craft, and I know his care for the environment would help me greatly when deserted on that island 😉
5. Bradley Cooper – I loved him before it was cool to love him! He was the sweet gentle-natured Will Tippin on Alias, where he was hopelessly in love with Sydney. He’s got these boy-next-door features that are accentuated by his sweet personality. Now add to that the gorgeous comic genius from The Hangover, and a dash of his persona in The A-Team, and you’ve got some pretty powerful eye candy.
6. Gerard Butler – Pure sex appeal – and he knows it, too. Most of the time I find that unattractive, but it makes him more mischievous I think. Of course, I love him for his gorgeous Scottish lilt. And in my heart, he’s the starring role in the Scottish historical romance book series, Outlander. I also loved him in Dear Frankie, which was a much deeper role for him. All in all, not a bad word to be said of Mr. Butler – he’s hot, he’s got a hot voice, a hot laugh, and a hot five o’clock shadow, to boot.
7. John Stamos – My parents will attest to the fact that they learned to speak English whilst watching Full House. This is because I was three years old and wouldn’t let them watch anything else! Full House is one of the foundations of my childhood, and the characters even more so. I always admired Uncle Jesse for his undoubtedly cool ways as an uncle, but as I got older – can’t help but see how hot he was too! His “Have mercyyyyy” pre-empt line to a kiss is iconic!
8. Craig Ferguson – Dave and I affectionately call him “Craigy” and he’s a very important figure in our lives! We’ve both read his autobiography (I actually just finished it today), and we try our very hardest to stay awake for his Late Late show. I love his sense of humor, and he’s one of the only people I sign on to Twitter for! Not only that, but he satisfies my attraction to older men quite well – he’s the classic bad boy who turned his life around and has each of his Hollywood guests in fits of laughter! He’s down to earth yet gorgeous in his own right, and I never tire of his his somewhat diluted Scottish accent! Not to mention, he’s a talented and witty writer!
9. Kiefer Sutherland – What is there to stay about the mystique of a one Jack Bauer? He’s fiercely loyal to his loved ones – which is attractive, and he stands by his word. He’s strong despite his short stature, he’s got a gorgeous raspy voice, and I’d probably do anything he asked just because of the way he’d ask it. He’s not one to smile a lot, but when he does, you melt! I think most guys will admit to a crush, and that’s saying something!
10. Blair Underwood – How could I have forgotten Blair Underwood?? Me, oh my. Anyways, he’s on my list because he’s gorgeous, of course, and he’s got himself an incredible voice as well. He really peaked my interest in season one of In Treatment and in Dirty, Sexy, Money. He’s got a very suave air to him, and yet he doesn’t come off arrogant. Yes, Mr. Underwood serves quite well as the cherry on the top of my Freebie List!
Well there ya have it!
Based on my own analysis, I my desert island scenarios cast men that are sweet, kind-natured, intelligent ones, older than I am, with an optional badboy past, a dizzying smile, 5 o’clock shadow, and a protective nature. Oh and a hot accent or deep voice to boot! Luckily in my real life, the man at the top of my list is all those and more (and he can do more than just one accent! ;))